It’s always amazing to see how different colors of yarn used in the weft with the same warp will change the end results. These scarves were both woven on the same painted warp. The weave structure used was a manifold twill. The painted warp yarn is an 8/2 Tencel dyed with Procion MX dyes. The weft yarns for each scarf are a 10/2 bamboo yarn. The weft yarns where from 2 different manufactures, XIE Bamboo for the turquoise scarf and Webs bamboo (This yarn has been discontinued) for the red-purple scarf. The Webs bamboo is less tightly spun, so has less shine to it. It was a good decision to unweave a large part of the Red-purple scarf. The end result is better. Now what to weave for the next project.
Category Archives: 8 harness weave
Decisions, decisions. I made one on weft color. Here were the finalists. From the Left: hand painted green teal, a salmon, and a Nile green. I used a 20/2 silk yarn that was hand painted in the skein with two of the colors used in the warp alternating in multiple stripes around the skein. The non solid color warp seemed to soften the sharpness of the green in the warp.
The threading of the warp took longer than anticipated. The piece has border diamonds on each side. I miss calculated how to get the same border on each side. Resulting in the need to rethread half the width. Should have spent more time with my weaving software. Hope to have off the loom this week. More decisions will be made then on beads for fringe and how many. Happy weaving!
Warping of the painted silk has begun. It’s ready to be sleyed and threaded. The warp was painted earlier at a dye day at the Contemporary Handweavers of Houston‘s Guild House. I wasn’t excited about the results, so I set it aside for a few months. Now I’m ready to put my design ideas to work. I will be threading an 8 harness manifold weave. I’m still debating weft colors so that will probably need some sampling.
On the inkle loom a new tablet weaving is in the works using three colors in the warp and 16 tablets .
There is still one loom naked so I hope this next week to work on another project for it.
I found this unpublished blog entry so I will publish it even though the finished fabric was shown in the post “Finishing Projects”. With temps reaching 86 degrees today, it was time to dye before the heat of summer is upon us. The handwoven Shibori snake was finished months ago. Since I don’t have a place to dye inside my home I need to wait for the weather to cooperate. The dyeing takes place in my backyard on the deck. I place an old plastic shower curtain on the table to protect it. The water for prepping the fabric to be dyed, was heated inside the house. Soda ash is added to the hot water as is a mild soap, then the fabric to be dyed. This is soaked for 30 minutes. The Procion MX dye is mixed outside with distilled water. I use two colors when dyeing my handwoven Shibori. One color on the top side and one on the back. The dye is applied with a stencil brush. Plastic wrap is under the piece being dyed. When I’ve finished dyeing the snake the plastic wrap is folded around it and the snake is rolled up to batch. The piece sits for 48 hours before rinsing out the dye. Once the Shibori snake has dried the pattern threads will be pulled out. You can see the Shibori dyed fabric on the post “Finishing Projects”.
The Handwoven Shibori yardage has been pressed and is ready to be made into something wearable it has a nice drape being 8/2 Tencel. The dye penetration is not as even as I would have liked, but it does create an interesting horizontal pattern.
The honeycomb runner made with linen and jute to outline the cells looks lovely on the table. The jute transitions from purple, blue, light green, yellow, orange, hot pink, then reverse back to purple. The back has long floats. For handbags or clothing this fabric will require lining. I have some novelty silk from Habu, I would like to use in the future with this weave structure.